YES....I've finally finished the restoration. It took some time because I was also working on three wedding gown alterations and various other projects at the same time. It was good that each project took a rest while I worked on the others.
I gave the headpiece time to flatten out without using the heat of an iron. Even though this beautiful vintage piece withstood a fire, I was taking no chances of damaging the pearls. I pressed it between two towels and a book on top till I was ready to work on it again.
I'm not sure if it was age or the fire, but this "tierra" headpiece was flimsy despite the original wiring on the back of the pearls. I added more wiring so it stood up firmly on the brides head. I then covered those wires with a layer of 100% cotton. I was pleased with the look and proceeded to work on the silk cap.
I was so surprised and pleased at the condition of the cap. there was only a small tear and I mended that with a piece of netting. It is barely visible now.
Assembly of the tierra to the cap was a little difficult. Tiny stitches and a beading needle were used to sew them together. I made sure none of those stitches showed through on the pearl covered front side. At each end of the tierra I re-attached the wax flowers that were so commonly used in 1910 through 1920.
The bride requested a hair piece comb to secure the piece to her head. While I was adding the attachment loops for this comb I realized the original brides may have secured this headpiece with hair pins. I imagine the small tear was where those pins were placed. I also added small loops under the cap ends so hair pins could be added there for more security without damaging the cap. The veil was attached across the back of the silk cap. This simple but elegant two layer fingertip length circle veil with satin trim is the perfect compliment and will allow the restored headpiece to stand out. I can picture now, our bride as she proudly walks down the isle wearing the beautiful headpiece her grandmother once wore.