Deb's Sewing Service -      Specializing in Wedding Gown Alterations and Restyles
RSS

Recent Posts

50% RULE
Heart Pump Holster
"My girl" is leaving.
OMG, THE BRIDES MAID IS PREGNANT!
Completed Vintage Headpiece Restoration.

Categories

Category one
SEWING
SHOPPING
powered by

My Blog

Vintage Headpiece Restoration

Something old for your wedding can also be something new again.

I am currently restoring a wedding headpiece c.1920.  The bride actually wore the headpiece in 1941, but the style and  tiny wax flowers indicate it is from much earlier decade.  This beautiful headpiece could have belonged to the mother of the 1941 bride.  That 1941 bride could have been using this headpiece for something old as well.

Although the box with veil and headpiece were rescued from a home that had a fire, the package did not burn.  The great heat from the nearby flames melted the wax flowers a little.  The grosgrain ribbon edging the head cap is in great condition.  I was pleasantly surprised during disassembly; the actual cap had only a small tear where the crown center was most likely attached..  Considering the time line and the heat of the fire, this fabric could be holding up so well because of possibly being made of silk.   The lace edging on the veil is in good condition as well.  The tulle veil however is completely deteriorated.

The actual work is tedious.  Careful stitches to attach support for the softened crown.  Re-attaching all the pieces and adding a new tulle veil is the fun part.  After several hours of hand sewing, the headpiece finally comes to life.

Voilà.  Restoration is complete.

7 Comments to Vintage Headpiece Restoration:

Comments RSS
Jennie on Sunday, April 21, 2013 3:00 AM
Fascinators never went out of fashion in so many years, and it is true that a bridal make up will not be completed without wearing a wedding headpiece.
Reply to comment

vintage hardware on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:23 PM
very interesting post. I really like this post.
Reply to comment

Pam on Saturday, July 06, 2013 5:52 PM
I have a 41 + year old veil headpiece that I want restored to the natural white color. Do you do that. It does not need any other restoration as it is in excellent condition, it is just discolored from age.
Reply to comment

Deb on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 10:56 AM
Pam, The extent of our restoration projects are enhancing, combining, mending, reinforcing and replacing missing parts. I'm sorry I cannot help you other than to offer some advice. Several of my clients have combined old with new by adding similar colored "yellow" accents to their gowns, shoes and bridal bouquet. By bringing the headpiece color down around the gown makes the headpiece color look planned. Visa-versa, bring some white pearls or ribbons to the headpiece. If your heart is set on a white color, I have located this website that may be able to help in the color brightening. (I have not used this service myself.) http://www.gownrestoration.com/vintage-bridal-veil-restoration Good luck with your wedding plans and feel free to contact us if adding some color to your gown becomes an option.

florists on Monday, September 23, 2013 1:04 AM
It is a pleasure to have this type of important information. Keep it up please. We would like to get more thoughtful words from you again and again.
Reply to comment

Anita Roberts on Monday, September 15, 2014 1:50 PM
My daughter is getting married july 2016. I have found my nannas head dress which she wore for her wedding in the 1930's. It is without veil, with white and yellow wax flowers and buds with wirey green leafy twigs. What is your time scale for restoration and price guidence?
Reply to comment

Deb on Monday, September 29, 2014 11:21 AM
Hello Anita Roberts, Thank you for your interest in Deb's Sewing Service. I will need pictures of your vintage headpiece to give the best estimate for your cost. I imagine I can say $100.00 USD plus postage would be a good start for many restoration projects. If you can e-mail to me directly, with photos front and back, and specific instructions of what you'd like to have repaired, I will quote more specifically. ALL repair materials will be new. info@debssewingservice.com Thanks again. Deb